These charges apply in England only. In Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales prescriptions are free of charge.
- Prescription (per item): £9.35
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £108.10
- 3-month PPC: £30.25
If you will have to pay for four or more prescription items in three months or more than 14 items in 12 months, you may find it cheaper to buy a PPC
- Telephone advice and order line 0845 850 0030
- General Public - Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website.
Help with NHS costs
In England, around 90% of prescription items are dispensed free.
This includes exemptions from charging for those on low incomes, such as:
- those on specific benefits or through the NHS Low Income Scheme
- those who are age exempt
- those with certain medical conditions
More information is available at NHS Choices
How Much You Save With A Prepaid Certificate (PPC)
With 2 items on a regular monthly prescription, buying a 12 month PPC you would save more than £115 a year. With a 3 monthly PPC you would save more than £25 every 3 months.